January 13, 2009

brioche, light and fluffy


I have been so busy with schoolwork that I haven't had much time to post, but I have a lot to report on. First, I think i'm the only person who wasn't aware that finals take place for a whole two weeks. Yep, two weeks of studying, testing, and then school work. Exciting, huh? I can't pretend that I'm not looking forward to it at all, though- ok, maybe not the studying itself, but the fact that I get to enjoy my beloved brioche whilst I bury my nose in my books.
So it all started about a year ago when I bought myself Ina Garten's Barefoot in Paris cookbook. As i've repeatedly stated, I love Ina, and I've never made a recipe of hers that has dissappointed. So, you can imagine my frustration about deciding just what recipe to make from her cookbook (her flawless pictures are partly to blame for my indecision). A year later, I, shamefully, have yet to make anything from the book. I finally decided enough was enough, and though I have somewhat of an i-can't-make-bread fetish, I fearlessly took my yeast out of the cabinet, and turned that oven on to 375 ยบ. 

And everything went against the odds- my yeast rose, my dough was perfectly kneaded, and it fluffed up just the right amount. To top it off, I was able to enjoy a slice of hot brioche right out of the oven. It was delicious- light, soft, and not too buttery, but just enough to make me yearn for more still a day later. This recipe is incredibly easy, for those, including me, who thought that they would never be able to make brioche. I can't wait to use it for french toast, and I have some other good ideas in mind... 

No comments: