January 2, 2009

sunday morning waffles and strawberry butter


As a receiver of Christmas gifts, I know that my duty is to eat, and use, all of my kitchen- related items. But, unfortunately, it wasn't until a few days ago that I got around to using my waffle maker that I had pleaded for, despite my mom's claim that there are enough of my dear cooking tools (or, as she calls them, "little accessories") in the kitchen. But she finally consented after she caught a glimpse of me pathetically slipping a small frozen waffle (and, uh, not at all purposely) out of the freezer, and then witnessing it burn in our erratic toaster oven.
And though it was Sunday, it was a good Sunday, because I realized I had the whole week ahead of me before I have to pack my books and go back off to school.
So I went all out.
Scrambled eggs, veggie sausages, the whole deal. I even dug out some frozen strawberries to try and make strawberry butter. And I happened to eat plenty of it (the food, not just the butter!) before I realized a half eaten meal would not make for a semi-attractive picture. I think I'm starting to notice a pattern here... At least there was some food left before I remembered the camera.
Anyway, I'm trying to enjoy my last two days of break, and spreading optimism. I think my good mindset has something to do with the butter.

Strawberry Butter
From epicurious.com

Ingredients
1 10-ounce package frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed
1 cup (2 sticks) unsweetened butter, room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
*1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel (I omitted this because I didn't have any orange, and it turned out well)

Combine all ingredients in processor. **Blend until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer strawberry butter to medium bowl. Cover and chill. (Can be made 5 days ahead. Keep chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

*If you're out of oranges, I would advise you not to use orange juice instead. This recipe is already very smooth, and the addition of the juice may just liquify it. It turns out well without the orange, either way
**It took a lot longer than 5 minutes for mine to get really smooth, like the consistency of butter. It will eventually turn light pink, and clump-free, just make sure the strawberries are well thawed.


No comments: