January 29, 2009

simple stuffed mushrooms

A while ago, I presumed that after my tests were over, I could have a bit of fun trying out complex recipes while my family, very encouragingly, keeps telling me to just go out and buy whatever it is that I have a hankering for instead of befouling the kitchen with dirty dishes yet again. So, and I can see how this would be rather anticlimactic, I decided to relax with a book, and go with simple meals. 
 I normally only eat stuffed mushrooms at my relative's house on holiday, and I always had thought that they seemed rather complex to make. However, I stumbled on this recipe which turned out to be incredibly easy, and I conveniently had all of the ingredients on hand. Between my lack of enough mushrooms for the recipe, and the moist, delicious flavor of the stuffing, each cap was irresistibly stuffed over an inch above its surface. 
This recipe is great side to make for an easy dinner, and is sure to impress. 

Artichoke-Stuffed Mushrooms
From Cooking Light

1 1/2 pounds large fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup soft bread crumbs (I toasted whole wheat bread, and then ground it into crumbs)
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (I used a package of frozen artichoke hearts, thawed)
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Rinse and pat mushrooms dry. Remove stems, and chop; reserve mushroom caps

Sauté mushroom stems, onion, and garlic in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender

Add wine, and cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in breadcrumbs. Remove from heat, and let cool.

Combine onion mixture, artichoke, and next 5 ingredients. Spoon 1 teaspoonful into each mushroom cap. Place on a lightly greased rack in a roasting pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. 


No comments: