This was my first ever batch of vegan cupcakes, fresh from my new vegan cookbook (just something to mix it up a little). I thought I would keep it simple with the golden vanilla, which turned out to be quite tasty. Even without the icing they have a great amount of flavor, and they have the same 'cupcakey' texture normal ones do. They taste just like regular cupcakes- and better than most. I made a batch of twelve last night and there are only a few left this morning :) Enjoy
Golden Vanilla Cupcakes (yields 12 cupcakes)
from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup, set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.
3. Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until no large lumps remain.
4. Fill cupcake liners two- thirds full and bake for 20-22 minutes until done.
5. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup plain soy milk
Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Add the vanilla and soy milk, beat for another 5-7 minutes until fluffy.